Where in the US is Laura now?

An informal journal of my travels as a working pilot.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Summer of Fire Patrol in Oregon

This summer I embarked on the first steps in my transition to a career as a pilot. I got a job as a fire patrol pilot in Eugene, Oregon. I spent several afternoons each week patroling over the foothills of the Cascade mountains looking for any signs of fire. The goal was to try and spot the very first signs of a fire so that they could be put out before they ended up like this one.




There was some pretty incredible scenery, which you could actually see when they weren't burning fields in the valleys, as well as a long string of beautiful weather.




I could often see the peaks of the Three Sisters




or the peak of Mt. Jefferson in the distance.


0 Comments:

<< Home